This page contains national and international articles, videos, DIY hacks, and news concerning science, technology, research, development and societal issues in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Why social distancing (limited contact) is helpful in tackling virus outbreaks?
The TIFR Mumbai community has put together a set of multi-lingual resources explaining why “social distancing” (limited contact) is helpful for tackling viral outbreaks such as COVID-19. The resources are based on the original simulations published by Harry Stevens in the Washington Post. Concept and presentation in various Indian languages by: TIFR Mumbai Community.
Choose another language in which you wish to view the above video
Easy Face Mask (सोपे मास्क)
Masks lower the chances of coronavirus entering the respiratory system through droplets. Learn how to make a simple washable face mask from an old t-shirt or vest. It requires no stitching and can provide basic protection. Make sure to go through the usage and precautionary guidelines.
From the Office of Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to Government of India (GoI)
The Ofﬁce of the PSA to the GoI has issued a detailed manual on “Masks for Curbing the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus”. The proposed guide is meant to provide a simple outline of best practices to make, use and reuse masks; keeping in mind ease of access to materials, easy of making at home, ease of use and reuse. Wearing of masks is especially recommended for people living in densely populated areas across India.
Indian Scientists’ Response to CoViD-19 Website
Indian Scientists’ Response to CoViD-19 (ISRC) is a voluntary group of concerned scientist citizens of India who have come together to discuss the rapidly evolving situation of the CoViD crisis through their website https://indscicov.in
One of the main objective the website will serve is that of being a scientific interpreter for the public at large; for example by busting hoaxes.
International and National News and Articles
- Springer Nature Experiments identified and collected over 160 well-established protocols and methods on coronavirus and has made them available for free. [International News, 25 March 2020]
- The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here’s how we know [Jeanna Bryner – Live Science Editor-in-Chief, Live Science Article, 21 March 2020]
- There’s No Hard Data This Drug Treats COVID-19. Can Doctors Give It Anyway? [Rahul Siddharthan, Article in https://science.thewire.in, 23 March 2020]
- Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve” [Harry Stevens, Article in the Washington Post, 14 March 2020].
- कोरोनावाइरस जैसे प्रकोप घातीय रूप से क्यों फैलते हैं, और ‘इस वक्र रेखा को समतल’ कैसे करें [हैरी स्टीवेंस, वाशिंगटन पोस्ट, १४ मार्च २०२०]
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics [Nicholas LePan, Visual Capitalist, 14 March 2020, updated regularly]